2016 – 2018 IAFC Safety, Health and Survival Section Strategic Initiatives
Developed January 18th, 2016 at the winter SHS Board Meeting Scottsdale AZ
1) Create a National Fire Service Health and Safety Alliance to work with other fire service organizations to address firefighter safety issues.
1A. Identify key participating organizations.
1B. Convene a National stakeholder gathering of participating organizations that were
1C. Identify key areas of consensus for collaboration.
1D. Identify joint implementation strategies.
2) Develop a process to enable every firefighter to obtain an NFPA 1582 compliant physical assessment on an annual basis.
2A. Identify stakeholders to develop partnerships for providing NFPA 1582 Physicals to
2B. Identify obstacles preventing firefighter from receiving NFPA 1582 physicals.
2C. Develop a tiered physical assessment process.
2D. Work with Research that is being conducted in order to educate physicians and fire
3) Provide our membership with “value” for being a Section Member.
3A. Develop a mechanism to better identify section members for participation in section
initiatives and activities.
3B. Develop a “new member” kit to be distributed to new section members.
3C. Provide Section members with exclusive FRI engagement opportunities.
3D. Develop a multi-level safety and wellness repository of research and best practices
available to Safety and Health Section members only.
4) Improve our marketing and communication strategy to reach the entire fire service.
4A. Expand our portfolio of communication tools (i.e. web page, social media) used in
4B. Develop a template to be used in the distribution of key safety messages.
4C. Establish and / or leverage relationships with fire service affinity groups in an effort to
expand our audience base.
4D. Continue to maneuver and refine / sharpen our brand to become synonymous with
4E. Develop and implement an evaluation system capable of providing the Board of
Directors with feedback on the initiative.
5) Develop a comprehensive health and wellness process including physical fitness and behavioral health.
5A. Develop partnerships with stakeholder for the development of a comprehensive Health
and Wellness program.
5B. Identify barriers preventing departments from implementing a comprehensive Health and Wellness program.
5C. Develop a model comprehensive Health and Wellness program.
5D. Educate the fire service about the need for a comprehensive Health and Wellness